01 January 2018

Dreaming practice

To celebrate New Year and the full moon shining brightly in the sky, after a day of put-off tasks at last accomplished and small jobs finally done, I am rereading almost 10 years of my dream diaries. Most of my students and many of my friends and colleagues know of my practice, and a dozen or so of them have learned my method and use it, with great benefit, I hear. The waking practice of T'ai Chi / Heart Work / meditation / Tao is complemented by the sleeping practice of the dream work, and in many ways they are the same thing, although this is hard to explain, if you are not a student... In July 2018 I will have completed a decade of this work, and plan to see if anyone wants to learn it formally. I now have the body of experience behind me with both my own material and that of many others, which gives me confidence to share this. I expect I will write more about it over the coming months, but here is a 'heads up'.

I have been writing down some of the method these last few months, and also collating much of what was learned and discovered. If you are interested in studying this, or want to ask me about it, get in touch, especially if you have already begun, and would like to assist me develop the teaching method. It is not 'dream interpretation', although that is a part of it, and even this does not follow a formula or dictionary, so is completely relevant to the dreamer rather than following some extant orthodoxy. It is a method of transformation akin to T'ai Chi, and requires correct attention, openness, a sense of wonder and much rigour. It is the opposite of indulgence and leads to self-knowledge, surely, but also to yielding, acceptance and much greater creativity. If you already easily remember your dreams, you could begin with little difficulty. If you do not yet remember your dreams and wish too, then ask to be shown how. It is a method for working with intent, and as such has much in common with martial arts, magic, or love.

Here's a line from the notebooks that seems apt.
'A path is trodden every day; that's what makes it a path. One can of course wander off in a new direction every day, but that doesn't make a path, that's wandering.'

There is a deservedly famous book I have read called 'The Artist's Way'.
Yes, very good, but now let's have 'The Wayist's Art'.
Happy New Year.

No comments: