11 November 2014

Thoughts from the dark river

Greetings and love to Marie who has injured her wrist - we send love and hope it heals soon and well.

The night is peaceful apart from the Egyptian geese who squawk at each other at the weir.

I am away from Mark's Tuesday class again with a cold. I want to be well to teach tomorrow and go to class Thursday, as well as teach all weekend. So I am reluctantly absent again. However, I am resting, so that's good, right?

The Heathrow flight path changes make all our lives hell here when the wind is Easterly. They have the hubris to put up a huge hoarding here at the station explaining how the new runway at Heathrow will benefit the whole UK. Is that benefit as in make us all into exhausted sleep-deprived stress-suffering zombies? May have to do an ad hack soon.

I discovered The Dark Mountain after reading a review of The Wake which I had almost bought last month on impulse due to the beautiful cover (yes, beauty could make an impulse book-buyer of me too), but I had a train to catch, and so I walked on. I have now ordered the book from Wordery, and may well subscribe to the Dark Mountain books too. I didn't realise quite a few other people felt similarly to how I did about 'nature' (as supposedly opposed to 'culture'), the 'environment', 'progress' and other mass hallucinations. Along these lines also read: Le Guin's 'Always Coming Home', and 'The Word for World is Forest', as well as Hoban's  'Ridley Walker', and Beatty's 'Pollard'.

Last night a DJ saved my life: Radiolab's Jad Abumrad and Robert Krulwich have added so much to my life this last 2 years since I discovered their show and subsequently their podcasts. A recent gem: In The Dust Of Our Planet - go listen.

This week's visual offerings:
Top left of the hill - a white chalk horse. Made my heart sing on the train west.

If only it were that easy.

This giant, late, bulbous football sized beauty is in the ash pile right now.

Family White, late last night.

No comments: