08 October 2012

Shine, evaporate and fall

Last night I was at The Globe again for Twelth Night, with Mark Rylance reprising his role as Olivia and the excellent Stephen Fry as Malvolio. I laughed so much, was captivated by the wit and timing of the actors, and was moved greatly by this play, which I had not seen before. Olivia moved as though upon tiny wheels, a wind-up toy of a mourning woman at first gliding, inexpressive, in her impenetrable grief and later skittish and moving impulsively when she falls in love. Each time I see Rylance I am more deeply impressed and glad to have had the fortune to see him play. Standing in the yard of The Globe, close-in with all the other audience members, I felt a sudden awareness of the continuity of humans who had done this before, in specific, the people in this country who had come for over 400 years to see this play, heard these words, and laughed at the bawdy jokes. It was a peculiar and heartening feeling. Having a drink at The Swan after the show, we met three of the company and thanked them for the performance, and for their part in Richard III, which we saw earlier in the season.


Davina sent me a link to a wonderful interview with Rylance on Radio 3's Nightwaves, which I have just listened to. As is often the case, the interviewer had too much of an agenda, but Rylance comes across as a deeply soulful person, committed to the exporation of life and meaning through his art. His understanding of the essential nature of a real human connection to the wild, and the importance of really 'waking up', being present in each moment, were particularly well said. I guess I am really quite a fan of the man now...

No comments: