29 June 2011

Quality drop

Sadly, another two of our various weapons suppliers have told me of a drop in quality in the products they buy from China over the last few years. Since we last bought many swords, the workmanship has declined dramatically, and today I am returning a sword I had ordered for a student. When I spoke to the sympathetic and helpful UK supplier, he says he can no longer buy the Long Quan swords and sabres (which many of us use) as they are flimsy, badly made, inconsistent, 30-50% more expensive and apt to be replaced by different products at the last minute before shipping. So presently, I cannot order swords or sabres at the kind of prices or quality we used to obtain. I have researched a few options and will gladly send links to those who want them. These swords are more expensive, but very well made, and Marli, Damien and David have them, so they are known to me. If I find good quality rigid Jians at a good price I will post it here, but it seems even if they are called 'rigid', most products are floppy wushu nonsense made for making alot of noise as you swirl about like a...

I will go to Playwell in Perivale next week to check out their selection of swords, as on the phone they couldn't really explain weights, or rigidity very well. Apparently there is a fully rigid aluminium one, and it would be good to see what their range is like, though I am not getting my hopes up. Here is their selection. I have also pointed folks towards this and this, which are lovely swords owned by some of Mark's students.

No comments: