20 April 2023

Chris Laver

Dear friends, On Tuesday I heard from my friend Nina Cadzow that her husband, our dear T'ai Chi brother Chris Laver, died on Tuesday 11th April 2023 of pancreatic cancer. Chris was a wonderful man with such a great sense of humour. I first met him at Great River T'ai Chi classes The Round Chapel when he turned up to come and learn Sabre during my first year teaching there. He had previously studied with John Kells and other students of John. He became a stalwart of the class and was always to be found at Mark's workshops too. He loved weapons applications particularly, and a few years ago when passing through Totnes, where he had recently moved, we spent a happy afternoon doing sword form in his garden. It was then that I met Nina, his wife, who is an artist and pigment person and we became friends. Since 2018 I have stayed with them a few times, the last time in September 2022, when Chris seemed thin, but well, making great work in his printing press and design studio. Chris was a talented and experienced designer and artist with a love of old types and printing paraphernalia. I had been hoping to see him in June, and I will miss him very much, as I know many of you will, who have had the pleasure of spending hours pushing hands with him, for years. 

I am currently in the States and won't always have access to internet until after 23rd May, but I have passed Nina's address to Mark, if you wish to send notes of condolence. 

 
Goofing around in Totnes, March 2018, and a bit of actual push hands

When I get back to a place with wifi next week, I will find a few more pictures to share with you all.




No comments: