19 October 2015

Good things this month

Here's some more things, besides T'ai Chi, that I have enjoyed...

Films:
Under The Skin. I finally watched it last night. Really good, and properly uncanny, if that is possible.
Predestination and Ex Machina were really enjoyable in their own way, good SF and worth a watch on a night in. Having read the books as my niece and nephew told me to, I have also been watching the Divergent films. The latest 'Insurgent' was, even by generic teen film standards, how shall I put this? Pants.

Books:
I have quickly been working my way through the books of Barbara Kingsolver. She is an immensely talented writer, an excellent story teller, and seems to have heart and edge in equal measure. Just go and read her books... I have read almost all of them and recommend any, perhaps 'The Lacuna' or 'Prodigal Summer' would be good places to start.

I recently read 'The Philosopher and The Wolf' by Mark Rowlands. Although I disagree with some of his ideas about his 'contract' on which to base a society, the true story he tells of his companionship with an adopted wolf is well worth reading.

The Forager Handbook, lent to me by Michael is now on my Christmas list. What a great book. It makes me want to try to find so many new plants. I probably eat foraged food at least 4 out of each 7 days, as many of my preserves, drinks and salads include foraged elements, and this only inspires me more.

Late blooming roses

Under our feet at every turn
 
Ah, This gave me a chuckle. Happy to bang-on about the 'true meaning of Christmas' (which is a adaptation of Yule, the mid-winter feast celebrated on these isles for millennia before Christianity, as Easter is of Eostre, the Spring fertility festival), here's a display completely missing the 'true meaning of Hallowe'en'. All Hallows, Samhain, is the time when we best remember those we have loved who have passed away, as well as our ancestors. The nights are dark and long, guising and tricks abound and lanterns are lit for what was once celebrated as the New Year. Some folks believe anything they don't understand must be from 'the devil', whatever, that is.
I shall be going to the moors and Carrying The Fire.

No comments: