04 January 2015

Things I have loved in 2014

I meant to do this last week, but I have prolonged the joy of not doing any PC based work as long as possible. Here are a few of my cultural highlights of the last year, in random order.

The Wake by Paul Kingsnorth, the best book I read all year.

Annihilation Trilogy by Jeff VanderMeer, an unbelievably good, gripping SF outing.

Shaman by Kim Stanley Robinson, spend time in the stone age: I wish there were lots of sequels. My nephew and I talk about this book every time we meet, suitable for adults and 'Young Adults'.

Pollard by Laura Beatty. Set in English edgelands, this gives a real voice to a character at the margins of modern life.

BBC Radio 6 Music: Three Wise Women, Stuart Maconie, Lauren Laverne, et al reminded my why I used to love the radio and why I do again.

The Honourable Woman I was impressed with this BBC drama.

A Field In England What an incredible film: magico-psychedelic Civil War mash up.

The Wall (Die Wand) A truly moving Austrian film featuring the amazing Martina Gedeck (stars in The Lives Of Others - also a must-see film).

O/S custom made maps I have made a few of these for friends, you can put any grid ref in the centre of the map and upload a cover photo - an instant and excellent present.

Michael Parsons' new book is truly insightful: Living Pschoanalysis.

Radiolab, still my mind-food of choice. Try Oops.


Slight disappointments: The RSC adaptation of Wolf Hall - didn't draw me in at all despite a strong cast, but I have higher hopes for the upcoming BBC attempt. Christopher Nolan's film Interstellar, very beautiful, and at times moving, but positing a ridiculous future solution to our planetary issues, which coloured my enjoyment of the IMAX spectacle. Another disappointment has been a lack of funds to go and see any ticketed visual art exhibitions or music concerts, but I have enjoyed visiting Hampton Court Palace regularly, which is full of wonderful art and architecture, and has superb music in the Chapel Royal.

Please send me your own favourite cultural highlights of 2014, especially films, books or music, so I can have a look.

No comments: