Apart from random cheap percussion bits, I have never bought an instrument on a whim before. In the past when I bought a bass, flute, sax or guitar, I had gone out to do that. In fact, I haven't even wanted to play an instrument since last time I played live with Woodpecker Wooliams, about 4 years ago, not even my brother's great 1980's Yamaha bass. I have been singing, but that's different, it's not something you have to get out of a case... It's pure physical expression for me. Today I went to buy a cup of tea with Duncan in one of the several little cafes / vintage stores in Boscombe and Pokesdown and ended up with this beauty, a resonator concert ukulele, almost new at 2/5 normal price. I have just tuned it, found a uke tab website and played the basic chords whilst singing along with The Cure's 'Boys Don't Cry', Tears for Fears 'Mad World' and Martha and the Muffins 'Echo Beach'. In my room tonight it's still 1980. Also the instrument seems to be decorated with lily of the valley motifs. As many of you 'Breaking Bad' lovers will know, this is a fragrant, very pretty and highly toxic plant. Perfect uke deco. 4 strings good.

No comments:
Post a Comment