04 August 2012

Olympics and Paralympics

I was feeling unwell at home the other day and whilst finishing a huge quilt that has taken a couple of years to sew, I thought, maybe I'd watch some of the Olympics. I barely watch TV as it is, and the last time I watched sport on TV was when Torvill and Dean won Winter Olympic gold in skating in the 1980s. I was so impressed by the judokas, marksmen, rowers and others that I have watched more sport in the last 3 days then in the rest of my life put together. The atmosphere seems awesome, the design and architecture very good, and the coverage has been (mainly) great. I tried too late to get any ticket for the Olympic Park as everyone else in London has just had the same idea. I am keen to see the meadows, planting and the whole regenerated area. However I am happy to have bought Paralympic Games athletics tickets for Wednesday 5th September for the morning session. A few of us are going along, so please do join us. Tickets are only £20 and after the morning session we can explore the park. I will be staying on in East London to teach the first Hackney class of the Autumn term at 6pm.

I totally eat my words that I am not interested in these Olympics. Of course there is corporate nonsense, some sad cheating, and as for how much it cost... But my rational arguments mean nothing when I see the inspiring dedication of the people competing. I may even go on iplayer and watch the opening ceremony after all... I am fed up of being the only person on the 57 bus who hasn't watched it.

Whatever you are doing, have a great summer. The weather may be pants, but never mind. I am off to the garden to pick giant cucumbers and broad beans, rocket and lettuce. There won't be much blogging from me over August, but I am just trying to arrange the next riverside venue for next year's Summer Intensive. More soon.

No comments: