03 October 2011

exile's return

After a self-imposed and necessary break in listening to music deliberately, ie. putting a CD on, it seems the natural process has moved things along and after what must be about 5 years, I am revelling in enjoying music again. My first port of call was my old favourite radio show, now on iplayer: Late Junction where I discovered Jono McCleery, and I went on to itunes and bought his new and rather wonderful LP, 'There Is'. Now I am even listening to it on headphones whilst on public transport. I know, next I'll be telling you that I like eating chilli and wearing high heels.

Also, I found these guys Caught By The River, who seem to be into fungi, good music and lovely books, and include an allotment column by the excellent Tracey Thorne of Everything But The Girl. So as a celebration of the last hot day of this Indian Summer, here's a small excuse for a cuppa and a browse.

I'm also going to see Steve Reich at last, as the English Riots were raging when he last played, so I could not go to the Proms to see him. Also I am going to see Mark Rylance in Jerusalem. A West Country girl has to support the rare outings of her culture. So raise a glass (of cider, preferably) as it was Steve Reich's 75th Birthday this August, and the LSO concert is in his honour.

Lastly, here's a lovely thing, combining my love of nature and drawing it: Valerie Littlewood's Pencil and Leaf Blog.

No comments: