Yes, you've all been waiting on the edge of your seats. At last I can reveal that I have today successfully made my first fully functioning deluxe sword tassel! Thanks to Monica for reminding me that I promised to make some ages ago, then to show folks how. Very simple tassels, such as for decorating a gift, a Christmas tree (or a go-go outfit) are easy enough to make, and there are a couple of tutorials on the web. However, for years I have been looking for good quality heavy-ish tassels to go with our swords. They need to be of a certain weight so that the applications work, and the movements flow. Also, It seems a shame to have a perfectly good sword and then stick a tacky bit of nylon on it. We used to have just one supplier, but he found his manufacturer in China kept cutting the quality, so stopped selling swords and tassels. Those tassels look like this...

Yesterday I went to Sloane Square to the finest ribbons and trimmings emporium in the UK, VV Rouleaux. With attentive help from the knowledgable staff there I bought materials to make something myself. Although there would be a fairly large minimum order, I can get the fringing I need to make more in a huge array of colours, including the traditional black, red or yellow. With these colours it's easier to find matching cord for the knotwork.
I've had a pretty harsh week, one way and another, so I am treating myself to a day or two of craft. I worked for a few hours on the main tassel and then de-pimped some cheaper tassels I found in China Town, to make something worth using that won't cost a fortune. I'll bring some to T'ai Chi classes over the next weeks and see what folks think. Tomorrow morning I will head off to Covent Garden to get some heavy beads for a black tassel I plan to make in the afternoon.
The great thing about making these myself, apart from the absorbtion and enjoyment of the making, is the possibility of personalising them with beads I already have, or getting the weight or style of knot just right. The purple tassel above was taken for a spin by both myself and David, and figures of eight, such as in the posture 'Shake the Duster in the Wind', go particularly well.
I don't plan on making tons of these, but will consider commissions for folks who really want them. However, I do plan a tassel-making workshop during the summer intensive, maybe one or two of the mornings at the Hampton venue, which will be perfect as it's an art studio anyway. Soon I will look into the costs of materials in larger quantities, and get an idea of what good beads and cords are out there, so that I can order what we need in good time. I think in about 3 hours, anyone with a bit of patience can make a fine tassel to grace their sword. Anything that makes us want to practice more, and adds enjoyment, is a good idea. In the meantime if you really want to make a tassel, come round to mine for cake and tea one day, and we can have a go.
Rough guide to materials costs and times:
£10 to add good beads for weight to a cheap internet-bought tassel (see taichifinder.co.uk): 20mins.
£15 to get two decorative tassels, for example from China Town, plus metal beads and turn them into the red one above by removing tacky gold bits and doubling up the tassels: half-hour.
£25 for the long fringe, embroidery thread, thick cords for knotting and big beads needed for something like the purple one above: 2-3hrs.
Hope this helps all those who've been asking. Soon, as I have promised Chris, I will get Mark to teach me how to wrap the sword and sabre handles in leather in the great way he does it, and share that info too.




No comments:
Post a Comment