08 July 2010

Weeklong workshop 2011




The dates for the 6th Annual T'ai Chi Centre Weeklong Workshop are 16th-22nd July 2011, with Talu and partnerwork fun to warm up on the evening of Friday 15th. It is running a week earlier than this year's, and it will be right next to the River Thames, at a venue near Hampton called Constables Boathouses, Unit 2. We will avoid the first week of the English School holidays, with schools breaking up on 22nd and causing general travel chaos thereafter. I have just confirmed the date with the leaseholder Kevin, and took a few shots of the space, which I will post soon. There will be an opportunity for the Scottish students to enjoy the London students' hospitality! I will also arrange details of local B&Bs, boats to hire or stay on, etc, much nearer the time. However, I thought I'd post this now, so you can day dream about tea breaks by the river and feeding swans.

Outside the venue is a pontoon of lovely residential narrowboats, today there were also a few friendly boat cats (plus one unfriendly tortoise-shell), coots, ducks (which occasionally wander in to the space), swans with cygnets and a great view past Hampton sailing club towards Molesey lock. There is a foot ferry 100 metres downstream which runs between Molesey and Hampton, as well as parkland on both sides. If you want the ferry you ring a big brass bell by the river. There are a few great cafes nearby, and a little ferry cafe / shed for ice cream and tea, which is only 50 metres from the venue. We will have the use of a small private park that all the boat shed folks use, just to the side of the building, if we want to relax outside in the shade. There should be ample parking nearby, I will get the details soon. The venue is a 12 minute walk from Hampton BR station which is on the Waterloo / Clapham Junction / Wimbledon line (catch any train towards Shepperton). Buses from Kingston Upon Thames, such as the 111, stop right outside.

Inside the venue there are 2 loos, a little kitchenette with kettle, sink, microwave and coffeemaker and another hand wash sink in the main room. The venue is in use most of the time as a life drawing centre and art studio, so it has a great open light feel, white walls and little clutter apart from stacked easels. There are plenty of chairs and sofas at the river end of the room for relaxing, but most folks sit on the back steps by the river with their tea at break. Although there is no hob installed, I will see about bringing a couple of 2 ring electric hobs, (and perhaps a belling oven if someone has one) so we can warm up food we have brought along for the evening meal.

Soon I will find out about whether there will be some temporary moorings at the venue pontoon for any folks who want to spend the week afloat. Even if not, there are plenty of spots a short cruise away that are free or £5 per night, as long as you move along after 24 hours. I expect many of the London folks will be happy to accommodate those from elsewhere, but I will collate local stay info next spring.


No comments: