This was the blog for Great River T'ai Chi and The T'ai Chi Centre from 2006-2023. This is now archive-only. You can find the schools at www.thetaichicentre.co.uk and www.greatrivertaichi.com
01 November 2011
Le Mystere Des Voix Bulgares
A rare event- I shall be missing class tonight as I am going to Le Mystere Des Voix Bulgares in Brighton with a friend. I have been hoping to see the massed Bulgarian female voice choir since I first discovered their music on 4AD Records and immersed myself in it when I was 14. The first two songs at the link above are as familiar to me as anything from the 80's charts, and I have just sung along phonetically! I tend to avoid the time-trap which is You Tube, but a quick search for them yielded some wonderful music. Here is another wonderful song. Their website with songs in high res is here.
2.11.11 Just got back from the gig - amazing! especially the first two songs from the second half, 'Mehmetyo' and 'Kalugerine' which were arranged containing elements akin to work by Ligeti (think of the piece used in 2001- A Space Odessy) or as though there were an electronic drone in amongst them. All sounds were vocal, however, and I have never heard anything like it. Here is the song Mehmetyo, music by Ivan Spassov, in a similar arrangement performed by another Bulgarian choir. Here is the work Kalugerine, music by Nikolai Stoikov, as performed last night, but by a mixed choir with 'classical' voices, not so much to my taste, but great music none the less.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment